The Next Chapter

A rambling, nonsensical yarn about a guy who no longer cared where he was going and got lost alot on his way to California.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Previously, in Dan's life

I decided to return to writing in my blog, mostly out of a sense of routine. I've tried to think about how I want to go about disseminating information to any one who may be interested, and now I'm gathering an idea. I will address those things in the future, because they're not terribly ground-breaking.

I've now been here apporaching one year. When I had stopped writing, I had just arrived to my new home just outside of San Francisco. I was travelled out, and at the time I was ready to sleep for a while in a bed I called my own. I unloaded all my stuff and I began looking for a job.

I figured since I might be in a position to stay as an independent contractor, I would go about securing those things I might need, such as insurance. I did so, only to find out that I also needed a state permit to do what I do. Long story short, as a result I hate condominiums and the concept of the homeowners association now more than ever. Something that should have taken less than a day took over 3 months to do.

I took a job on the connection of a friend and colleague, who knew someone that needed help. The red flags were all there, but I was a little desperate for money at the time and didn't see them: 1) I had an interview on Sunday, 2) my first day I was told I dressed too nicely, 3) the guy reminded me of other people I'd worked for in the past that caused me to kick gravel and swear when I left work. It didn't last very long, and there was no relationship to damage. But it did shake my confidence in my ability to get a job. As a consolation, I did some work from home for the connection and that paid for a bit.

Eventually, after several interviews, I managed to get a job with my current company DST Controls. They're in a decent location, the drive is easy and relatively short, and it's a salaried job! I'm still a contractor, I still do what I did before, but now it's a little more stable.
In the meantime, I began looking for gaming groups and places, and I found a place to hang out from time to time- EndGame in Oakland- and I joined two groups that play through that store. I can get there after work at a reasonable time, and it takes about 10 minutes to get home. It's a weekly thing for me, when I'm not under the weather or just fatigued.

Oh yeah- and I'm getting married! June 10th of next year, in Jenny's home town of Stevens Point, WI. It shouldn't be too much of a shock to those who've been following along, we've been dating over eight years. The plans are going along, and we agree on most things, disagree on some, and eventually work it all out.

I recently took a vacation with my family- it's been an extremely long time since the family was on vacation, and with one new addition (and a future addition). It was one of those types of vacation where at one point I got the feeling we were just falling over ourselves to spend money. Then again, it was Maui. Not like the two concepts are incongruous. The trip wasn't really relaxing but it -was- enjoyable after a few of the initial bumps got out of the way.

I'll add more as time goes on; I don't know, once a week or so? We'll see how faithful I am to writing again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home