The Next Chapter

A rambling, nonsensical yarn about a guy who no longer cared where he was going and got lost alot on his way to California.

Friday, January 14, 2005

And it was done.

Trip 2: 5,135 miles, 75 hours driving time (complete)

Now mind you, I do feel empathetic to the idea/concept of karma.

And while Las Vegas was a touch of a disappointment, reality was setting in and I knew I had to get off the road and soon. I left Vegas feeling slightly odd. Disappointed. Sad. Anxious. The reality was, I had been so prepared for the journey itself that I wasn't prepared for being done with the journey. And as I sped down I-15, I had alot of fear and anxiety.

The Illinois part of my life really was past me now. I'm really moving to California. I'm really calling San Francisco home. I don't need to go back to Evanston, Crest Hill, Woodstock, Kankakee, or Arlington Heights.

Yet with all of the anxiety I felt, there was one more day of driving. And it was full of positive karma.

Example? I couldn't drive by one more "world's largest"... the world's largest Thermometer!!


The World's Largest Rectal Thermometer (Owww....) Posted by Hello

This thermometer claims to be at the Gateway of the Mojave Desert. I don't know how it's the gateway- you're completely surrounded by the desert at that point- and it wasn't like an actual mammoth freakin' glass and mercury thing. No, it was a digital output tower. Oh well. It qualifies!

I also passed Zzyxz Road. You won't find that on any atlas. (I took a picture, but it stank, so I didn't post it.)

Then to the familiars. Modesto. Bakersfield. I-5. There wasn't as much fog this time. I wish there was. There's nothing to see anyway. I stopped for gas at exactly 5,000 miles in the trip. Then I drove in, under the cover of night, through the evening rush.

Yes, I got lost in Oakland. Had to, just one more time. Wouldn't be me on this trip if I didn't get lost. :)

And then, I arrived home. Jenny and I went out for pizza at a local place in Berkeley. And I slept for 11 hours.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home